Monday, May 11, 2009

The Good Deed is Done!

Saturday. Wow, well.... what can I say? It exhausted me. I worked harder than I thought I would. I learned many lessons. The girls learned not only learned lessons about taking on big projects, but also about themselves and their limitations.

I know we did a good deed and that for the most part the deed is done and over with. But wow! I had no clue what work it would be. And I don't just mean physically. Two Girl Scout leaders directing 7 girls painting 2 rooms is mentally exhausting. My co-leader and I were completely spent at the end of the day. These girls are 4th and 5th graders, and we had to really get them to understand that quitting this project halfway through was not an option. Sitting on our butts taking a rest every 10 minutes really wasn't an option either. We painted for 7 hours with a 30 minute lunch break. Each girl took her turn painting with brushes, rollers, standing on the ladders and painting up high, being on clean-up duty, and of course sitting around taking breaks.

We still have to go back and paint one of the two bathrooms and put the bedding, curtains, and finishing touches in the rooms. I'm excited to get some decorations in there. As we were painting my co-leader and I were envisioning pictures we'd like to hang on the walls! I'll finally get to have the satisfaction of a job well done when we are finished with the project and families are truly enjoying the rooms and all of our hard work.
{Louisa painting the *bright* apricot-yellow room!}

{The blue room all finished!}


{Louisa and I after we got home. All covered in paint from a day's hard work!}


No comments: