Monday, May 22, 2006

I'm Into Girls!


My 5 year old son is girl crazy to say the least. He somehow manages to get a "girlfriend" everywhere we go. And I'm not talking about a nice little girl who he becomes friends with. I mean a girlfriend who he ends up talking about for days afterwards.
In preschool, a girl at the beginning of the year decided she liked my son and told him, "I am your girlfriend now". All year long she is all I've heard him talk about. Now that the end of the year is upon us, he has told me of some sad news. She does not want to be his girlfriend any more. I hug him and tell him there are other girls to be friends with. (I have no doubt that phrase will be repeated many times in the next 20 years!)
He pulls away and looks at me with his big bright blue eyes and says, "But Mom! She is not my friend, she is my girlfriend! I'm into girls, you know!" As I try to put a plug on the laughter that is bubbling inside me I hug him again and let him know that everything will be ok. After all, there are many more fish in the sea!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Peggie,
Your son reminds me of my younger brother. He always had a girlfriend, starting as early as 1st grade. He used to talk about chasing them around the playground and if he caught them, he got to kiss them. Aren't our kids the best thing that ever happened to us? I'm going to love this blog, I can tell. Have fun with it. Lori