Saturday, September 13, 2008

Some good old fashioned guilt served with a side of relief

I can't help but feel a little guilty as I sit here at my computer knowing that, yet again, our area has escaped the worst of what a hurricane can bring. Not that we were in the direct path of Ike, but we were close enough to get some good damage if Ike saw fit to bring it. We did get a few tornadoes in the area, and I don't know yet the resulting damage of those, but I can look out my window and see no downed trees or power lines, no broken windows or flooded houses. My power and water are working just fine, as are my cell phone and cable connection. I also had a fairly restful sleep last night. All signs that we didn't get hit near as hard as we could have.

Oh, I do thank the Lord greatly for sparing us yet again, but like I said, I can't help but feel guilty. Millions of Galveston residents will return to the coast over the next few weeks to pick up what small pieces of their lives are left, if any. The people of Cameron, Louisiana, a resort city that was completely wiped off the map in 2005 by Rita, will return to all their hard work washed away.... again.

Guilt and praise today.

No comments: