Sunday, April 17, 2011

~Gilbert Buege~ Dec. 29, 1921- April 16, 2011

Finally getting a chance to sit down and write this. It's been a long day of getting ready for my departure. Tomorrow I get on a plane, by myself, to go close one of the biggest chapters of my life.

But how do you close a chapter that has been such an enormous part of your existence? How do you say good-bye to the last living person that represented four of the most amazing people you knew?

Not making sense? It does to me.

For several months now we've been saying, "Get ready, Grandpa won't be with us much longer". I have put everyone I know on alert and on emergency prayer duty. Last night the call came. I will be frankly honest here, I did feel relieved. Relief alongside sadness is not unusual when dealing with the death of an 89-year-old grandparent who's been sitting in an assisted living unit for 4+ years. He has lived a full, long life. I pray, with my entire heart and soul, that my grandfather finally has peace. It's been a very long time coming. I pray God found goodness in his soul, and that my grandfather was welcomed with open arms in to His kingdom. But mostly, I pray my mom can finally find peace.

Now I'm off to say good-bye to the last of the four souls that not only grandparented me, but were *essential* in raising me. If not for them, I would not be the person I am today.

Thank you, Lord, for giving me 4 angels. Only You know how much I need them watching over me.

Good-bye my grumpy Grandpa Gil.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Peggie, I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you and the family. Love you girl and I am amazed at how even though years have gone by and we haven't seen each other that hearing about this and reading about your stuggle with it made me tear up and I wish I could give you a big hug. You're and amazing woman and continue to carry on Grandpa Gilbert's legacy by staying that way.

Much love,
Sarah

Chaos Mommy said...

Thank you Sarah! I really appreciate the words and thoughts. I don't remember if you ever went up to Spring Green to my grandpa's cottage with me, I know Carrie did. Lots of good memories with my grandpa, that's for sure!

Jen Mc said...

Sending lots of prayers for a peaceful passing and peace to your family.
HUGS!

Marlee said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa, but I am sending warm thoughts to you and hope for the best. He sounded like a great man!