Saturday, October 20, 2007

Bloggin from the Rents

Here I sit at 4:30 in the morning at my parents house, wide awake. I tossed and turned all night, and finally gave up about 4:00 and decided to log on and catch up with email and friends. Also hoping that blogging will make me tired enough to go back to bed.
First, I'll give the good news. No, Husband does not have to deploy early anymore. *sigh* Back and forth, back and forth. Welcome to my life as a military wife!
Second, The Trip So Far.
Saturday we headed out on our long trip from Louisiana to Wisconsin. Driving. Straight through. With three kids and a dog. Fun. Thank the Lord for whoever invented portable DVD players.
We arrived at the InLaws on Sunday morning. They live w-a-y up in Northern Wisconsin. Luckily it wasn't as cold as I thought it would be. I didn't bring hats and mittens, so I was a little nervous we would all freeze. It was cold and rainy the whole time we were up there, though. Monday the InLaws took us up to Duluth to an aquarium. We also stood on the shore of Lake Superior and watched a big boat come in. The kids stood on some rocks and let the waves splash up on them. It was a tad windy, and chilly, but fun. The whole time we were at the InLaws, we saw a total of six bald eagles. I wasn't too fast with the camera, though, so no pictures of them.
Wednesday morning we headed out to the UP of Michigan to visit an old army buddy of Husband's. They recruited together for a few years, and our families spent a lot of time together. It was very nice to see them, if only for one night.
Thursday morning we left Houghton, Michigan and headed down to southern Wisconsin. We made a stop in Madison to visit my grandpa. He just got moved into a nursing home. He's pretty miserable because he has always been so independent. He's legally blind, but he can see enough to get around. Unfortunately, his memory isn't quite what it used to be, and he can't live on his own anymore. It's been a year and a half since my grandma died, and he is so lonesome without her. It's hard seeing such an active person stuck in a place where he can't be as active. But, my mom and uncles are making sure Grandpa is well cared for and has everything he needs. My mom worked as a nurse in nursing homes for many years, so she knows how things are supposed to be done. She will be steadfast when it comes to Grandpa's care.
Yesterday, Friday, Husband and I left the kids with my parents and got us some new tattoos. In the city where we went to high school there is a place that I always wanted to go to get a tattoo. It's rated the best in southeastern Wisconsin and I saw a lot of good work from there. We made an appointment awhile back because they usually book up fast. This was Husband's 5th, and my 3rd.
Today, Saturday, we have a wedding to go to. One of Husband's cousins is getting married and luckily for us, we happen to be in town.
Sunday we spend some quality time with the Rents and Monday morning we head back for home. Well, Louisiana anyway. Not quite sure where "home" is anymore.
See, I knew blogging would help, now I'm tired. Hopefully I can get a few hours of sleep before the kids wake up and start annoying me.


Anonymous said...

I sure hope they make up their minds about whether dh is going or not. I sure hope this is the final decision. He deserves to be at home with you and the kids and you deserve to have him there for Thanksgiving.
I can't wait to hear about your last couple of days when get home.

Kim said...

My mom was born in Wisconsin. Sounds like a fun time! What is your new tattoo?