Thursday, September 20, 2007

Girlie Comics

Louisa is really into comic books, and she loves to read your average every day Spiderman or Superman comic. But lately she's been wondering about "girl" comics. She saw an ad once a few months ago for a comic book with the character Anita Black from Spiderman, and we ended up sending Grandma & Grandpa on a wild goose chase trying to find it. What we found was that there are a very small few comic books with girls as the main character. Oh if only I could draw well! I would put out girl comics left and right. Drew is very good at drawing comic book style, but he has no interest in helping mommy put together a "girlie" comic.
Tonight I thought I'd Google "comic books for girls" to see what I could find. First I found this blog called Girls Read Comics and They're Pissed. This was such a fun blog to read! I think I'll go back and nose around some more as soon as I finish typing this.
Then I found something called Angry Little Girls. Um... Weird. But yet, interesting, in that weird sort of way. Okay, I spent way too much time on that site.
Lastly I found this article, which led me to Amazon to look up Leave It To Chance, which led me to Alison Dare, which led me to Go Girl.... and now I just ordered way too many comic books for Louisa, and they probably won't get here by next week for her birthday anyway. But they look very cool, and I know she'll be really excited to get them.
So... anyone out there a good comic book artist? We could maybe do a little tag team thing?! We need more girl superheros that play the central role in a comic book.

6 comments:

KPhoebe said...

Hi Chaos Mommy!

I'm Karen Healey, author of Girls Read Comics (And They're Pissed), and I'm pleased you liked the column!

As for recommendations, I wonder if would Louisa be interested in Marvel's RUNAWAYS - six kids discover their parents are actually supervillains and, er, run away. Then fight them. Lots of wonderful dialogue and teenagers acting like teenagers, (but also lots of violence, if that's a problem). She might also like DC's BLUE BEETLE, which stars Mexican-American working-class teen hero Jaime Reyes, but has plenty of important, recurring and varied female characters.

And if these are a little old for her, she might like Marvel's POWER PACK digests - the continuity-free and totally awesome adventures of the family Powers - two girls, two boys, and a lot of wacky adventures with plenty of famous guest stars.

There are more recommendations in the Girl-Wonder.org forums, here: http://girl-wonder.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=28

Anonymous said...

Peggie, I think you've made a new friend in the Girls read comics blog. How neat is that?

I wish I could draw cause we could go into business together but unfortunately, I can't.

Anonymous said...

I can't draw either! Garr can draw pretty well, but he is not confident in his ablity at all. I hope that she loves the comics you did find, and that you can find more in the future!

scrapperjen said...

I'm not comic artist but I know of several "girly" comics that we have at the library.

Chaos Mommy said...

Thanks Karen! I'm honored that you took the time to leave me a comment. I have a friend who goes into the "big city" to the comic book store a few times a month. I'll have him check out the ones you mentioned for Louisa. We live on a small, rural army base with not much in the way of shopping!

Jen, email me and let me know what you have at the library that Louisa might like!

Vail said...

I would suggest Girl Genius and PS 238. While PS 238 doesn't have a female character as the main character, there are many good female characters and really there isn't a main character as much as a "normal kid" in a school with "super kids".