Thursday, September 13, 2007

Hurricane Humberto

This is Hurricane Humberto (image from weather.com), and the last time I checked it is a Category 1 hurricane. The news keeps talking about Texas and I guess they got hit pretty hard when the hurricane first landed. I haven't heard one word about Louisiana, though. Funny, cause I'm looking out my window right now, and the rain is coming down in sheets and it's pretty darn windy.
I woke the kids up at 6:30 this morning, as usual, to get ready for school. At 7:00 I sent Drew out the door to the bus stop. I gave him a hooded sweatshirt so he wouldn't get too soaked while waiting for the bus (can't trust him with an umbrella). After I said good-bye to him I checked my phone and there was a message from Husband saying that school was canceled because of the storm and we could all go back to bed. Uh-oh! Wish I had listened to that before. I sent Louisa out after Drew and called Husband back. He said that we're expected to get winds up to 70 mph today, so there is no school.
Now here we sit in our first ever hurricane. The bad part hasn't hit us yet, and who knows if it even will. On the map above we are located about a half a centimeter to the right of the big red spot.
What I find interesting is that when Hurricane Dean came around, everyone down here panicked and some people evacuated. Dean didn't come anywhere remotely close to Louisiana. We didn't even get rain from it. But yet a real actual hurricane comes through, and I never heard a word about it. Maybe I've just been too engrossed in the slaughter.... I mean hearing of General Petreaus and Ambassador Crocker.
Either way, here we sit. At home. It's a rain day and Louisa wants to play games and Drew wants to watch TV. Hmm... I wonder which one I chose? Currently they are playing in Drew's newly cleaned room, and the rain has gotten worse since I started typing this.
But really, I grew up in Southern Wisconsin and some *fierce* storms, complete with tornadoes, stomp their way through several times a summer. I'm sure I can handle a little Cat 1 hurricane!

No comments: