Friday, January 26, 2007

What I want to be when I grow up...

As I wander through this big ole world called cyber space, I'm amazed at all the people I meet who want to do the same thing as I do when I grow up. I've always wanted to be a writer. For as long as I can remember I've been writing stories, poetry, journals.... just anything that pops in to my head. I've even been known to write a song or two. None of them were very good, but they're there.
All day long I have a running story going through my head. Sometimes I get a chance to write it all down, and sometimes my New York Times bestseller gets lost in the midst of all the mommy and housewifey activities I have to take care of throughout the day. I have several books started, only one actually finished. I have one children's book that could probably be edited a few more times, two more children's books started, and three grown up books started. Look at the way I finish what I start!
That's part of my problem. I don't always finish what I start. It's so easy to write the whole beginning or middle to a story and then just put it out of mind for awhile. That is, until I get that nagging urge to do something about it. I need to get published some day. Like HAVE TO. But how? It's such a tough tough business. You can't just submit something and have it get looked at. You have to jump through hoops of fire and dance on top of a unicycle and pretty much do something really unique to get noticed in this business. One thing I've learned while talking to all these women I've met who aspire to be published is that it's a lot of hard work just to even get noticed in this world.
And who am I anyway? I know a freelance journalist who has been published many times, yet she is having a really hard time selling her book. I know children's author who knows all the right people in the biz, yet she can't get published. And me? I'm nobody. I've barely been to college, and I've never been published. Some editor will take one look at my query letter and toss it out the window. He'll giggle to himself that some little country-bumpkin housewife is submitting a cute little story about a little girl... he's been there and seen that before.
So how do I make myself special? And all these other women I've met who have dreams of becoming the next great author of our time? What do they do to get noticed?
I personally think that we should start our own publishing company and then go on tour together. We could travel the country to bookstores and libraries and get our names out there. We could bring our children with us like Tim and Faith do when they're on tour.
Now who's with me? Anyone with a printing press at home? I'm not picky, any printing press will do. We can get started and take the bookstores by storm with our masterful writing genuis. After all, who better to write children's stories than a bunch of moms?! We know what we want our children to read, and we know what they enjoy reading. These publishing companies should really just trust us and take a chance. Worst case scenario, we stink and they don't make a dime on us and they kick us to the curb. Best case, we're the next big cash cow to walk in their door.
But as much as I'd just love a chance to write and be published, I'd love the chance to travel and share my stories. I have some stories that need to be told.
Oh, and trust me, when I finally do get published, you'll be the first to know!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't give up Peggie, I want an autographed copy of your first work!

scrapperjen said...

I'm with you!!!!! By the way, I want autographed copies, too! :D

Anonymous said...

Well lets see with all the clutter in my house, maybe I have a printing press in the mess. Okay, maybe not.

I want an autographed copy too.

navywife6 said...

you are so funny Peggie. I actually took to writing when Shayne deployed. I have always wanted to write and I am up about 150 pages at the moment, so I am with ya on "lets get 'em in print"

Kelly said...

Who was J.K Rowling before her first book? Who was Ann Rule? Nobodys, wives and mothers. Like you and me.