Sunday, July 02, 2006

Can Dogs Read, Mommy?


We were driving in the car today when Louisa suddenly felt sad about a doggy that we had to say goodbye to in March. He was getting to be too much of a handful for me by myself and we were moving into an apartment where we couldn't have more than two pets. I'm not giving up my cats, so the dog had to go.
Louisa was the closest to him. She cried and cried and cried and cried.... But luckily for me, my husband is the one who found the dog a new home and she can never stay mad at her daddy for too long.
Now, as we were discussing the dog today, she came up with a great idea. Let's have a Pet Day, like Father's Day or Mother's Day. So we started to brainstorm all the things we would do on this Pet Day. Like celebrate the pets we have, but also remember the ones that we don't have.
From the back seat, Drew chimes in, "Well, don't dogs read? We can send Strider a letter to tell him we miss him." Drew in his infinite questioning of everything imaginable, was absolutely serious. I told him no, dogs do not read. Then, in all seriousness, he relpies, "But they are big kids and big kids can read."
So, dogs, who are big kids, should be able to read. That makes perfect sense!
We're busily planning our Pet Day, Louisa gets to plan the menu and make decorations. Drew is going to help pick out gifts for the cats. I have no doubt it will be a day to remember!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Cool Idea. It would however, take me all day to remember the pets I've had. It might make for a very nice day for me though. I think I'll make a list of all the pets I've had and celebrate their presence in my life. Great Idea Brott Family. Thanks. Lori

Smart Girl said...

Drew is a genius! What a lateral thinker, watch out for this kid, that kind of thinking grows up and cures cancer! hope you have a fantastic Pet Day!

Chaos Mommy said...

Let me know how it goes, Lori!

Anna, more than one person has told me that about my son He defintely thinks outside the box. Thanks for the compliment!