Thursday, June 15, 2006

Memoirs of a Softball Coach: AARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Ok, does this lady have it out for me, or what?! Seriously, can I do anything right when coaching against this lady's team?
The same lady who pouted about me wanting to call foul balls found something else to get upset at me about. I was cheering on my team. Yes, you heard me, cheering on my team in the outfield was my offense this time! I can't even make this up!
When my team is in the outfield they, like any second grade girls, get antsy. So the parents and I shout our encouragement and advice and just your average softball chatter. Nothing wrong with that in mine or any of the parent's eyes. But there is something wrong with that according to the lady. We'll call her, Mrs. Pink, if you will. (They wear the pink shirts.)
So as I was shouting to my team in the outfield to wake them up and let them know what base the next play is at, she comes to me and says, "You know, encouraging words are great, but you seem to distract my girls whenever it's their turn to bat. Could you please not shout when they are batting?"
I was like, HUH??? Just when exactly AM I supposed to shout to my team in the outfield? None of Mrs. Pink's girls were hitting the ball. Almost every single one struck out and she was blaming it on me? No way, I don't think so! When all of my girls consistantly hit the ball every time they are up to bat, they get very antsy waiting in the outfield for one out of 12 of Mrs. Pink's girls to actually hit the ball.
I got semi-satisfaction, however, when the next inning I didn't yell at all to the outfield and her girls still struck out. At least 10 out of 12 did. But it wasn't total satisfaction because my girls didn't do well in the outfield. They danced around and picked grass and wore their gloves on their heads. One did cartwheels while another rolled somersaults. One girl practiced her splits for gymnastics and two girls got into an argument. After the game a few of the parents told me they don't care what the other coaches say, they think I'm doing a good job and they hope I don't "sit out an inning again".
The girls need direction, and I can't help it if Mrs. Pink's girls can't hit a ball like mine can. Next game, I'm sure she'll find something else to blame on me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"After the game a few of the parents told me they don't care what the other coaches say, they think I'm doing a good job and they hope I don't "sit out an inning again".
The girls need direction, and I can't help it if Mrs. Pink's girls can't hit a ball like mine can."

Definitely, Peggie! Obviously, Mrs. Pink doesn't want to take any responsibility for her own team. So much easier blaming the opposing team. Goodluck with the rest of your games! You sound like a fantastic coach! They're lucky to have you!!

Chaos Mommy said...

Thanks, Vicky! I knew you all would be on my side! ;)

Anonymous said...

Seems to me like Mrs. Pink needs to teach her girls how to focus...I wonder what would happen if the coach of a pro team told the fans to be quiet because his team was up to bat! When my brother or I did sports we had to learn to ignore the fans and other coaches and focus on the task at hand! And you can tell her I said that! :)

Chaos Mommy said...

Thanks, Amber! From now on, the assistant coach is dealing with her! Unfortunately there are only 4 second grade teams, so we'll be seeing her again!

scrapperjen said...

Oh my lord!!!!! This lady OBVIOUSLY has her own issues!

Keep cheering on those girls!